Tuesday 16 July 2013

Jazz Education

 
A very quick post to point people to my Jazz Education survey (or questionnaire). I'm writing a paper on jazz education which has to be ready for the end of August. One thing that seemed important was to get a few results and information from other people about their learning experiences. I decided to make an online survey, which you'll see below. Obviously its not completely perfect and doesn't really leave much leeway when answering the questions. One musician - quite rightly - pointed out that yes or no was a bit to restrictive for some of the questions. However, unfortunately the way the survey is built it's difficult to do it any other way without making people really spend a lot of time on the questions. The idea that people leave their addresses tried to cover this 'hole' in the survey as I can contact individual people to ask them more detailed questions.

If you're a musician and have been working in improvised music please take a look at my survey as it will be very useful for having some sort of figures to present to the university - even if they are not stricktly controlled, it does give some sort of general idea of musicians experiences in teaching, or learning about improvisation via education (or not).

Please take a look at the survey here. If you have other musician friends around please don't hesitate to pass on the link (or survey) ..... I'd be most grateful!

I should add that the questions (see the comments section below) are very 'general' due in part to the format which makes them a bit restrictive. I could have made them much more 'write what you think' style, but I was worried that people may find that too time consuming. Unfortunately I was wrong, but it is a little late to change after so many people have answered the survey - very thoroughly. Please feel free to contact me directly - here - if you'd like to help me get some more in depth information. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I made it about half way through the survey and then stopped. For a range of reasons, I am not comfortable with the questions, and the pairing to pre-set answers. There is much more to the learning process for anyone, I believe. If you wish to send me questions, I will write some responses, but I will not participate in the survey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely no problem Stephen. I wanted to ask a few musicians some more in depth questions, but this free online survey service was just a simple way of getting some general information. I hoped - as you've done - that people would contact me so that I could ask the 'real' questions.

    I also looked around the net hoping to find an easier template for a questionnaire, but I found the same model on most of the free services, hence my (very general) survey.

    Thanks for contacting me, we'll be in touch.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...